Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Retrospective Take of a Mistake


In the Seventh grade I was first chair Trumpet. I had been playing the trumpet for about four years, longer then any other instrument I'd pick up then loose interest in. I felt on top of the world, I actually enjoyed doing something; but something happened that would change that forever, ( no, not rape). My Music teacher at the time a Mr. Billy Bruns asked me if I would be interested in trying out a new instrument, due to a lack of low brass. That instrument was the Tuba. for the first couple months I enjoyed the new thrill of a large and in charge behemoth, but as time went on I started to realize what a mistake I had made. For the next 18 months I longed for the warm embrace of my trumpet. I felt as though all my plans of becoming a bounty hunter who plays in jazz clubs were dashed, rather finely i may add. This all changed my first day of high school. In Band class I was introduced to a whole new style of teaching, that which is known only as learning it from the "Hood". I saw how low brass parts in actual music were, for lack of a better word, SBLADOWZ. I learned that its not what you play, but how you play it, i mean it's not what you want to play, but what your personality will foresee you to play. I fit in very well within the low brass and love the tuba. <3

No comments: